Thursday, February 26, 2015

February 12, 2015 - studio time with Pam

Today Pam and I met for the first time since early December. There was much to show and tell. Pam is still working on a very big and beautiful trunk. She is also working on other pieces that were wonderful to see.

I have made progress on the Big Bowl but am becoming reluctant to show it until it's all finished and a part of the big reveal! Pam offered a critique of its progress and I plan to follow through with adjustments and additions. I am still happy with it and excited to finish.

I also showed Pam my first attempt at a rosemaled version of my great great grandfather's letterbox. Jon made six letterboxes for me and I am planning to paint each one in a different way. Below is a picture of the first one.


First Letterbox

Here's a photo of the original letterbox my GG Grandfather made and carved when he was about 77 years old. He was from Telemark and both he and his father did some rosemaling. His father was one of the original Telemark rosemalers. They were both metal smiths as well. They made be beautiful ornamental parts for guns, buttons, spoons, etc.

Aasmund Aslakson Nestestu's hanging letterbox

My homework is to design a twining motif using a red palette. Perhaps including the dark blue and green turnovers. I am looking to Ole Moene for inspiration.

Ole Moene inspired rosemaling (needs refining:-)

Also working on a design for a tine using the twining leaves and brighter colors. Pam is challenging me to step out of my comfort zone and do some different things!


2 comments:

  1. I just love the carved look of this style and the brilliant colors! Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the carved look of this style and the brilliant colors! Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete